How hard can it be to get Breastfeeding and Siblings sorted ? It all starts off so well, new baby has got the hang of feeding, big brother or sister loves the new arrival and dad or partner is off back to work. You can do this you think, why was I worrying ?
You settle down to give baby a feed and then big Sister decides she doesn’t want to play nicely on the floor she wants to sit beside you. That’s fine there is space on the couch so up she comes adn squirms her way onto your knee. After a few minutes she is bored so she wants her Peppa Pig house down from the top shelf, she really wants it NOW. Queue some whining and grumping and the beginings of a tantrum. So you try to manouver baby, whilst still feeding into the next room to get the Peppa Pig House but by now she doesn’t want it after all. HELP !
Nursing a baby with a toddler in tow isn’t always easy as the recent story Kim Kardashin shared shows.
“North hates when I feed the baby, and she lays on my lap so Saint can’t be right in front of me to eat, LOL!” Kim wrote. “I’ve started to include her: Sometimes I will pump and have her feed him the bottle. That totally worked! She loved helping me, as opposed to my attention being off of her, and now she is my little helper.”
We love when celebs share their stories so we can all realise that we are not alone. I never really got to grips with pumping so Kim’s trick wouldn’t have worked for me but here are some ideas to make Breastfeeding and siblings and little easier.
1) Use a baby sling. Using a sling makes carrying baby around so much easier and many mums can feed when on the go. Sadly this never worked for me so I can’t give you any top tips but this blog post has some fab videos showing you how to nurse handsfree. I have added one below to give you some idea how it works.
2) Let them Try. If your toddler asks if she can try nursing, the choice is obviously yours. In most cases, a child who is no longer breastfed may find the experience too strange to try more than once. She will probably not remember how to nurse and will run off, satisfied, after a quick experiment.
3) Story Tapes or Music. Try story tapes or music to bring some calm to the room and get your toddler organised with a book to look at or if they are a little older then maybe a drawing book and pencils. They can sit next to you and you can chat together whilst baby feeds.
4) Good old Cbeebies. If you restrict TV time then Breastfeeding may be the best time to let your toddler watch a favourite show. With catch-up TV it is easy to have a selection of favourites on hand and an episode may be enough to get your feed well under way.
5) Ipad or Kindle. This can be really contentious for some people but if your toddler sits next to you and you interact together then why not ? As long as they are not left on their own all day with a tablet then it can be an interesting way for them to explore the world for a short time. I do like the Kids Kindle as it comes with a 2-year worry-free guarantee includes coverage for anything that happens to your Fire Kids Edition. They will replace no matter what happens to it !
We would love to know your top tips for Breastfeeding and Siblings, how did you cope ? Were you lucky and it all went smoothly ? Was Big Sister Jealous ?
This post hasn’t been paid for, I just like the Kids Kindle !