This week is Carbon Monoxide Awareness week and we have teamed up with Corgi to give you some more information and a giveaway.
First off do you have a Carbon Monoxide Monitor in your home ? If not get down to the bottom of the post and enter the competition now, if you are not the lucky winner then get out to the shops and get one !
First I thought I would tell you my story, which is based around a large hotel in Scotland I used to work at. When I was a manager there, about 15 years ago, part of my job was to be in charge of the building once a week as the “Duty Manager”. What this meant was that if anything went wrong I would be called on to deal with it, usually at night or on a Sunday morning when no one else was around. Now one of my main fears, aside from the fire alarm going off, was that the boiler would cut out. I would then have to go outside to the dark workshop, with a torch, to where IT lived and press the BIG RED BUTTON. I had an irrational fear of the whole boiler cranking into action then bursting into flames. I would run in, reset the boiler then run out, hoping we would all live to see another day. Silly I know.
All the time I was worrying about the hotel boiler I should really have been worrying about the boiler in the staff house that I lived in. A few weeks after I left the hotel my friend from the shared house got in touch to let me know she had been in hospital. It turned out to have been Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from the boiler in the staff house. All along the real danger was more deadly, difficult to detect and right under our noses.
You may have been hearing about the sad case in Cyprus of the two young children who died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. You may think that this is just a one off, or due to poor standards abroad. There are however many more cases, much closer to home. According to NHS statistics, every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die. Now this figure shocked me I must admit, did you know this ?
Regular, annual, servicing of all gas appliances – boilers, cookers, fires and heaters – is the best defence against carbon monoxide leaks. According to a recent survey only 41% of boilers are serviced on an annual basis. I was shocked to find this as I am always concered about gas safety in the home especially with young children in the household. When did you last have your boiler serviced ? If you live in rented accommodation this is the reponsibility of your landlord who should organise a yearly gas safety check so make sure you get a copy from them.
Carbon Mononxide Monitor
Did you know carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas and, as such, it is very difficult to detect and can easily be inhaled without you realising. This is all the more reason to ensure your home has a monitor in place.
We are running a giveaway in conjuction with Corgi to help raise awareness of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. To be in with a chance to win then please comment below and share the post to raise awareness. And promise me you will get your own monitor if you don’t win ! Why not pop over to their site and read their latest article How often do you check yours ?
The competition is open until the 24th of November and is open to UK residents only. Full terms and conditions are available on the rafflecopter ap below.